They are located near the city centre. Both houses are linked by a boulevard which was built in 1833.
Villa della Petraia was bought by Brunelleschi, then it was sold to the rich Florentine Palla Strozzi in 1492, in the end it was bought by Cosimo I de’ Medici in 1544. Cosimo gave the building to his son Ferdinando, who became Granduca in 1587. He transformed the structure from a noble building to a royal residence.
Ferdinando expanded the garden dividing it into three terracing: in the first one he put little plants, the second one was decorated with flowerbed, and the third one was occupied by citrus tree. The most important characteristic of the new structure is the abundance of sculptures and fountains, which make Villa Petraia a majestic building. The centre of the structure is the “Sala da Ballo”, where there are gorgeous eighteenth-century portraits. Villa della Petraia was also a love nest for the lovers Rosina and Vittorio Emanuele II.
Villa di Castello is located beside the layout of an ancient roman aqueduct, which give the name of the city. It’s one of the most ancient possession of the Medici family, it was renovated and sold to Lorenzo and Giovanni di Pier Francesco de’ Medici in 1477. Then it was given to Giovanni delle Bande Nere, in the end Cosimo organized the garden as an instrument of propaganda. He decorated the garden with a lot of fountains and sculptures. Characteristic of the garden is the “Grotto of the Animals”, built by Tribolo, it is divided into three recesses, each one containing a basin decorated with marbles, shells and mosaics.
Nowadays the hall, which is adorned with eighteenth-century landscapes, is used for meetings by Accademia della Crusca.
Available days: from Tuesday to Sunday
Bookable Starting Time: From 8:00 am to 1:00 pm
Duration: 3 hours
Available Languages: All, upon reservation
Adult rate: The rate of the tour depends on the number of people. CALCULATE YOUR OWN RATE!
Child rate: 0-5 free.
From 6 years to 17 years with ID. Please insert number of people.
Meeting Point: In front of the entrance gate of Villa Petraia
Additional Information: From Railway Station Santa Maria Novella - Bus N. 2 and 28 - Bus Stop "Sestese 03"
The rate includes: Expert licensed guide and entrance ticket with reservation.